What is Smart Airport?
Airports are very complex realities with different departments and parties involved (such as security, operations, airlines, police, medical, immigration, traffic management, parking management, retail and loading / unloading), each of them with specific requirements. Smart Airport is a complete applications portfolio able to meet the specific requirements of each department, operating as a single integrated system to ensure rapid information distribution to all concerned when an event occurs.
Ever smarter airports
An infinite number of services
Umpi, together with its partner iOmniscient, offers Smart Airport, an integrated solution for the intelligent platforms realization for optimized energy and services management within the airport. Furthermore this solution uses the existing electricity network as an extended LAN for the integrated management of innovative services.
In particular the services offered by Smart Airport are:
- Saving, energy and maintenance optimization (cost saving; emissions lowering);
- Smart Video surveillance e internal/external monitoring e biometric systems usage (high level of security);
- Digital signage and interactive totems e totem interattivi (innovation and information sharing);
- Information and connectivity (stakeholder engagement; public internet access);
- Electrical vehicles recharge unit (sustainable mobility).
Savings services, energy optimization and maintenance
IOmniscient's patented technologies provide a complete solution for the many applications required at the airport. Through Smart Airport use there are several solutions that allow you to save money, optimize the energy used and maintenance.
Here are some examples.
Energy saving management for light towers and outdoor lighting:
- Remote management on Point-to-Point control;
- Optimized maintenance management (ticket, recurrent failure, fault management);
- On/off or dimming of energy consumption in relation to the arrival/departure of flights.
Management of escalators and digital signage control:
- Alarm control on each escalator;
- Remote command availability;
- Optimized wiring thanks to the use of PowerLine communication;
- Internal Digital Signage panels control with energy saving function on each panel.
Measurement of energy consumption and management of electrical loads;
- H2O, power and gas meters remote reading;
- Control, analysis and recording of the main electrical parameters on the distribution cabinets (eg MT-BT cabins): voltage and currents, frequency, power factor, etc..
Smart Airport, and in particular its complete video and audio analysis portfolio and odor detection applications, is able to meet the specific requirements of each department, operating as a single integrated system to ensure rapid distribution of information to all interested parties when an event occurs.
The system is modular and each application can be implemented both separately and interact with all the others to provide a complete service. The iOmniscient’s patented technologies provide a video analysis system able to perform automatic face recognition even in extremely crowded and complex conditions, typical of airports. Furthermore, artificial intelligence allows the system to have high levels of accuracy and low false alarm rates even in difficult situations.
Examples of applications and uses:
- Land Operations.
Through Smart Airport, airports become much safer.
Here are some examples of applications and uses.
- Land Safety: e.g. prevent Running/ Skateboarding, Slip and Fall, overcrowding and congestion detection (compliance with safety regulations);
- Terminal safety: detection of smoke, fire, gas, explosive materials;
- Air safety: e.g. abandoned objects/animals around hangars, equipment, etc.;
- Airside safety: detection of any foreign objects, for examples debris left on the runway.
Furthermore, many modern airports have a combination of internal and external problems, such as open-air ceilings and large windows that can be sources of alarms. Smart Airport is equipped with the alarm suppression system (NAMS) based on artificial intelligence, to reduce false alarms and accurately detect events even in these difficult situations.
One of the major concerns detected at airports is the inability of video surveillance to detect threats, events and people in crowded conditions: iOmniscient has developed a patented technology that has the ability to perform automatic face recognition even in extremely crowded conditions. The exclusive software has the ability to detect abandoned luggage. This feature is associated with the "Skip to event" functionality, thus excluding false alarms and increasing airport security.
In addition, the behavioral recognition system and the tools for detecting falls and scuffles help airports become safer for children and the elderly. For example, integrated automatic systems block the movement of the baggage claim carousel if a child jumps over it.
Examples of applications and uses.
Busy terminal: face detection and recognition in the crowd and in a complex and uncontrolled environment, abandoned objects/baggage;
Access controlencroachment, incorrect route, tailgating, suspicious behavior, quarantine, access to prohibited or restricted areas, intrusion detection - hangars, landing strips, baggage handling etc;
Baggage handling: theft detection through baggage claim carousel openings.
Here are some examples of the use of Smart Airport in land operations.
Quarantine control: automatic control of fever (with a thermal camera added to normal cameras, the person with high fever is identified using Face Recognition to give an immediate alarm);
Airlines and immigration check-in: management of queues and average waiting times for passengers;
Main areas and retail areas: people counting and crowd management with full reporting;
Vandalism detection; atti di vandalismo;
Main traffic areas: abandoned carts and object detection, lost and found, etc.;
Unauthorized parking or taxis;
Aircraft management: automatic measurement of aircraft and analysis of parking time;
Aircraft protection: theft prevention on expensive machinery or equipment even during intense work hours;
Loading terminal: use ANPR to register all vehicles entering/exiting cargo areas, picking up or returning cargo.